Surp Toros Armenian Church, which was built in Kayseri in the 18th century, has been heavily damaged by treasure hunters, Agos reports.
A 2-meter pit has been dug in a room of the Surp Toros Armenian Church in the Tavlusun District of Melikgazi district. Inscriptions have been sprayed on the walls of the church.
HDP Diyarbakır Deputy Garo Paylan has addressed a parliamentary question, demanding an answer from the Minister of Culture and Tourism Mehmet Nuri Ersoy.
“Although the church, which was built in the 19th century, is one of the most important historical and cultural structures in the region, it has been abandoned for decades due to neglect and indifference, and nowadays it is again exposed to the attacks of vandals and treasure hunters,” Paylan said.
The MP requests answers to the following questions:
1. Why don’t you protect the Kayseri Surp Toros Armenian Church?
2. Has an investigation been opened against those who destroyed the Surp Toros Armenian Church in Kayseri?
3. Why do you remain silent against treasure hunters who haunt cultural assets belonging to Christians?
4. Why are the historical buildings belonging to Christians within the borders of Kayseri province not protected by your ministry?
5. Will you restore the Surp Toros Armenian Church in Kayseri?”
Source: Public Radio of Armenia
The US Armenians promotes businesses, advertising, collaborates, lists jobs, buys and sells products, and many more ideas. We would like to hear your thoughts and feedback, so please feel free to contact us through direct message, or via email at email@example.com
If you have any questions/concerns about our website/social media platforms, feel free to contact us via email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
For business/collaboration inquires, feel free to email us, and please in the Subject enter “BUSINESS”.